"South Devon's Best Kept Secret"
South Brent is a unique village tucked away under the South West lea of Dartmoor.
It offers a wide range of opportunities to explore Dartmoor and the South Hams with many local amenities including a tourist information base.
The village boasts a wide range of shops including a supermarket, chemist, delicatessen, a pub, cafes, antique shops, butcher, fish and chips, florist, computer and IT, hairdressers, DIY and Garden Centre, small goods store, art and crafts, a charity shop, and a community centre (which also hosts Post Office services and a mobile Lloyds Bank).
For more details click on the ‘Local Information’ button.
Why travel miles to larger towns when you can satisfy all your needs by shopping locally in South Brent
To find local community groups or activities click on either the 'Activities' button or the 'Organisations & Groups' button.
If you want your event included in the 'whats on' section; email the details to email@example.com
South Brent is twinned with Chateauneuf du Faou in Brittany with visits being made between the two.
Details of some twinning contacts can be found on the menus.
South Brent is a large village on the southern edge of Dartmoor. The Parish is the second largest (after Cornwood) in South Hams at 3742 ha, and 6th largest in Devon (after Ivybridge, Totnes, Kingsbridge, Dartmouth and Bickleigh) with a population of 3043 in 2012.
The village was originally a woollen and market centre with 2 annual fairs and a station. Now the village centre is within Dartmoor National Park, and it is a thriving community with shops, businesses, school, village hall and community centre.
The Parish Council consists of 12 elected councillors - 9 from the Village Ward, and 3 from Brent Moor Ward. The present Council were elected/co-opted in May 2019, and will serve for 4 years until 2023. A list of the Councillors may be found here
There is a Parish Council web site with more information at www.southbrent.gov.uk
Parish Council meetings normally take place in the Side Hall at the Village Hall, on the 4th Monday of each month starting at 7:30pm. In August the meeting takes place at The Old School Community Centre. All members of the public are invited to attend meetings, and will have the opportunity to speak at a public forum at the start of each meeting.
· Saturday 23 July – Saturday 20 August 2022: Dartington Summer School & Festival. Four weeks of shared music making, learning and listening, from early music to jazz. Courses for all ages and abilities, accompanied by over 60 concerts and events, set against the medieval backdrop of the beautiful Dartington estate:
- Week 1 (Water) 23 – 30 July:
- Week 2 (Fire) 30 July – 6 August: A powerful alchemy of baroque and folk music
- Week 3 (Earth) 6 – 13 August: A deep dive into the fertile ground of chamber music
- Week 4 (Air) 13 – 19 August: An emphasis on breath and air – with superb vocalists and moody jazz
· Food support for South Brent & Rattery: The Buckfastleigh Food Bank covers the areas of South Brent and Rattery. The foodbank is part of the Trussell Trust run by local people for local people and relies on the community’s support to ensure they can continue to help people who are going hungry. To support the vital work of the foodbank please:
1. Donate Food – most needed: long-life milk, fruit juice, tinned fish, meat and fruit, pasta sauce and gluten-free products. Please leave in the Foodbank box in South Brent Co-op.
2. Donate Money - One-off gifts: Ideally please use BACS transfer to: Buckfastleigh PCC Foodbank; sort code 40-52-40; account no: 00023172. Or if you need to send by cheque, then please make it payable to Buckfastleigh PCC Foodbank and send it to:- Mrs Janet McLellan, Foodbank Treasurer, 127 Oaklands Park, Buckfastleigh TQ11 0BW. To use Gift Aid: download the Gift Aid Form from the website
The Devon Mobile Library, now in a refurbished van, launched this year after a fundraising campaign, visits monthly on Tuesdays (12 Jul; 9 Aug; 6 Sep; 4 Oct; 1&29 Nov) - from 1.45-2.15pm at Station Approach and from 2.30-3.45pm at Clobells (note changed times).
The Outreach Post Office provided by Strete Post Office is now permanently hosted in South Brent Old School Community Centre.
Post Office opening hours:
Monday, Wednesday and Friday morning ONLY.
The Lloyds Bank Mobile Banking facility have now resumed
Visiting every two weeks on a Monday from 9.45 am to 11.15 am commencing on 28th September 2020.