Sustainable South Brent
Sustainable South Brent (SSB) was set up in 2006 and exists to inform, educate and engage local people in the benefits of sustainable development; that is development which meets the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs. It aims to conserve and protect the physical and natural environment, mitigate against the effects of climate change and impact directly upon energy use.
The organisation, which is now a ‘charitable company limited by guarantee’, initiates, promotes and delivers actions, projects and initiatives that encourage public participation in helping to achieve these aims and ensure the long term sustainability and character local area, at the same time increasing social cohesion and developing skill sets in the community.
So far, Sustainable South Brent has:
· Set up a Community School Garden with the Primary School
· Set up a Composting and Re-use Centre for the village
· With money derived from the success of the composting project, provided grants through a ‘Sustainability fund’ to other relevant local projects
· Provided access to free home insulation helping local people reduce energy costs
· Given away energy-efficient light bulbs
· Worked on woodlands and hedges – related management, education and crafts
· Been instrumental in helping to set up the Community-owned Wind Turbine
· Published a Guide to Local Business and Services
· Appointed project workers to lead specific projects funded through 'Awards for All':
- Community Food Project
· Celebrated its 10th anniversary with a storytelling artist's new commission – 'The tale of how South Brent became Sustainable'
· Held many Discussions & Film Shows (see our Events Calendar for forthcoming events)
· Successfully undertaken a Thermal Imaging project
· Hosted a pop-up shop to spread information about energy-saving initiatives
For more information please visit: www.sustainablesouthbrent.org.uk