Upcoming Ashburton Arts dates include:
· Saturday 27 October 2018: Helen Porter: ‘Constant as The World’ solo tour at 8pm in St Lawrence Chapel. Effortlessly crossing boundaries between jazz, music theatre and contemporary classical, singer, pianist and composer, Helen Porter is known as the vocalist with the progressive jazz quartet ‘Misbehavin’, but now presents a performance of her own songs and piano solos, reflecting the vagaries of our world, interspersed with timeless classics by Cole Porter, Kurt Weill and Stephen Sondheim. Tickets at £13 or £10 or £6 – You choose available now at www.wegottickets.com/ashburtonlive or at Silver Lion Jewellers, or on the door.
· Sunday 28 October 2018: Gin Bowlers (Arts Centre) 4pm )
· Friday 9 November 2018: ‘Ma Bessie and her Blues Troupe’ (Arts Centre) 7.30pm. Ma Bessie (Julia Titus) and her Blues Troupe tell the story of Bessie Smith, ‘Empress of the Blues’, with an evening of vintage blues from the 1920s and 1930s era, showcasing many of her songs, chronicling her life from a one-room shack in Blue Goose Hollow, to becoming the highest-paid black entertainer of that time, through to the tragic accident on Route 61 in September 1937 that ended her life aged 43. Tickets at £13 or £10 or £6 – You choose, available now at www.wegottickets.com/ashburtonlive or at Silver Lion Jewellers, or on the door.
· Sunday 11 November 2018: Dwarka, the journey: Tony Bayliss, Pete Bingham & Louis Bingham (Arts Centre) 4pm
· Sunday 18 November 2018: Haldon String Quartet (Arts Centre) 4pm
· Saturday 24 and Sunday 25 November 2018: Hilary James and Simon Mayor returning for a riot of music and humour at the Arts Centre at 7.30pm. She sings and plays the most enormous bass balalaika, while he is a complete virtuosic fiend on the mandolin – and rather funny. See: www.facebook.com/events/175667023362819/.
· Saturday 1 December 2018: Zoe Gilby Quartet (Arts Centre) 7.30pm
· Monday 3 December 2018: Jean Toussaint Quintet (Arts Centre) 7.30pm