Available to all villagers, 'The Club' offers a venue for birthdays, christenings, celebrations of life, family get-togethers of all kinds and offers organisations a venue for meetings, fund raising events or social get togethers of all kinds, with parking for your guests. The giant screen (14ft by 14ft) allows the showing of films, TV or media of all kinds enabling the audience to sit back and enjoy the projected images, great for talks etc.. The large dance floor suits movement or as a base for musicians, allowing everything from concerts to line dancing. The skittle alley, darts or pool table can be used by any organisation or group of people wishing to have a social evening.
Located in Stockbridge Lane, between the Butcher and Mare/ Foal, the Club is not as people think, a hotbed of political ideas (none is spoken), but a place to come and unwind after a hectic day at work and share the companionship of your friends. Recently decorated, now is the time to check out the new décor while relaxing in comfort. Come and see what we can offer you.
For further details contact The Secretary, Stephen Hanney, Tel: 07929 - 253137
Sustainable South Brent
Sustainable South Brent (SSB) was set up in 2006 and exists to inform, educate and engage local people in the benefits of sustainable development; that is development which meets the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs. It aims to conserve and protect the physical and natural environment, mitigate against the effects of climate change and impact directly upon energy use.
The organisation, which is now a ‘charitable company limited by guarantee’, initiates, promotes and delivers actions, projects and initiatives that encourage public participation in helping to achieve these aims and ensure the long term sustainability and character local area, at the same time increasing social cohesion and developing skill sets in the community.
So far, Sustainable South Brent has:
· Set up a Community School Garden with the Primary School
· Set up a Composting and Re-use Centre for the village
· With money derived from the success of the composting project, provided grants through a ‘Sustainability fund’ to other relevant local projects
· Provided access to free home insulation helping local people reduce energy costs
· Given away energy-efficient light bulbs
· Worked on woodlands and hedges – related management, education and crafts
· Been instrumental in helping to set up the Community-owned Wind Turbine
· Published a Guide to Local Business and Services
· Appointed project workers to lead specific projects funded through 'Awards for All':
- Community Food Project
· Celebrated its 10th anniversary with a storytelling artist's new commission – 'The tale of how South Brent became Sustainable'
· Held many Discussions & Film Shows (see our Events Calendar for forthcoming events)
· Successfully undertaken a Thermal Imaging project
· Hosted a pop-up shop to spread information about energy-saving initiatives
For more information please visit: www.sustainablesouthbrent.org.uk
• SSB is looking for volunteers to undertake work with the Dartmoor Park Rangers as part of an arrangement in lieu of lease payment to Dartmoor National Park to ensure continued viability of the March Compost Site. Job allocations for November have been arranged as follows (grid references are shown in brackets):
• Sunday 12th November – (10.30am-12pm) Cadover bridge car park: '#2 minute litter pick' [GR 554 645]
• Tuesday 14th November – (10am-3pm) Diamond Lane Ditch Dig: Meet at 10am at Shipley Bridge Car park [GR 680 629]
• Saturday 25th November – (10am-3pm) Roborough Rock Volunteers: Meet at 10am at the Rock for a day of vegetation clearance on the dispersal bays [GR 515 672]
Palstone Recreation Room. All welcome; lots of fun - no previous experience necessary - easy to pick up the steps as you go along.
£4.00 on the door includes tea/coffee & biccies. Bring your own wine/beer. Tel: Louise on: 01364 649227 for more info.